I made these a few weeks ago as a quick dinner after work. The warm spice of the meatballs works great with the roasted peppers.
Very hearty and filling! This recipe serves 4 people and takes just under an hour to make.
500g of lean turkey mince
1/2 a bunch of fresh coriander
1 tablespoon of ginger purée
1 tablespoon of garlic purée
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of all-purpose seasoning
2 fresh red birds eye chillies (with seeds)
3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 of sliced cucumber
1 bag shredded lettuce
1 packet of halloumi
4 red peppers
4 large wholemeal pittas
Garlic Olive Oil
300g of passata
Half a medium onion
3 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
3 tablespoons of red wine
- Preheat the oven to 200c and slice the red peppers thinly. Place the sliced peppers into a large baking tin and lightly cover with garlic olive oil. Place the baking tray on the top shelf in the middle of the oven. Leave in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Next empty the turkey mince into a large mixing bowl, add the garlic & ginger purée, smoked paprika and all purpose seasoning. Slice the chilli’s and coriander thinly. Add them to the mixing bowl along with the Worcestershire sauce. Using your hands mix in the ingredients into the turkey mince. Once it is all combined set to one side.
- Cut your halloumi into slices and grill until they have a golden colour and set to one side. Prepare your side salad of lettuce and cucumber.
- Shape the mince into balls (walnut size) you should roughly make 18 meatballs. Place them in a large baking tray and lightly spray with oil and place them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Dice the onion and fry in a medium saucepan with garlic olive oil. Once the onions are fried, empty the passata adding the balsamic vinegar and red wine. Add the meatballs (once cooked) to the passata and leave the saucepan on a medium heat with the lid on.
- Cut the pittas so it creates a pocket and place in the oven for 10 minutes, after they have been baked for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and open the pittas to remove the steam. Place back in the oven under the grill for 2 minutes.
- Fill your pittas evenly with meatballs, add some few red pepper slices and chunks of halloumi also. Add the roasted peppers and the rest of the halloumi on top of the salad.
- Serve hot and enjoy! Also add a blob of tzatziki to each pitta and drizzle some balsamic vinegar to the salad. (1 pitta each, unless you have some very hungry guests!)