If you are a 90s child you will remember, that awful day when Jamie Oliver ruined many children’s favourite Friday Dinner.
Thanks to the world of Facebook, I recently saw a video showing you how to make your own twizzlers! So I tried it out for myself and made a few tweaks.
This recipe serves 3 people and these take 40 minutes to make.
6 Turkey Sausages
175g of Natural Breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons of BBQ Seasoning
6 Bamboo Skewers
100g of plain flour
1 egg (whisked)
- Empty the water into a large saucepan, and leave on a high heat to boil. Using scissors unlink your sausages and add to the saucepan once boiled. Leave to cook in the water for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the sausages are cooked remove from the hot water, and place in a bowl of cold water (cheat way for them to cool down).
- Now the sausages have cooled down, pierce the sausage with a bamboo skewer. Make sure that the skewer is going right through the middle. Repeat this to all of the sausages.
- Now remove the outer casing of each of the sausages. Using a sharp knife cut the sausages into a coil and slowly rotate the sausage. Repeat this to all of them
- Carefully slightly uncoil the sausage, and you will now have a twirl shape. (Don’t remove the skewers yet!)
- Now get three large plates. Empty the flour, breadcrumbs and whisked egg onto separate plates
- Add the BBQ seasoning to the bread crumbs and mix with a fork.
- Coat a twizzler in egg and then toss in the flour. Ensure to dust off any excess flour before rolling in the breadcrumbs. Repeat this until all of the sausages have been coated.
- In a large saucepan shallow fry the Turkey Twizzlers until the breadcrumbs are a golden colour. Once you’re happy with the colour of the breadcrumbs remove the skewers. And like magaic you have Turkey Twizzlers.
If you’re being really retro, serve with potato smiles and spaghetti hoops!