You may have noticed that I don’t post any red meat or pork recipes. This is because when I was a kid I decided I hated the stuff. So I use Lean Thigh Turkey Mince for my Chilli Con Carne, but you can use whatever mince you prefer. I served mine with Sweet Jacket Potato and Garlic Bread! Btw this recipe serves four and takes 1hr and 15mins to make!
500g of Mince (Turkey Lean Thigh Mince)
400ml of Passata
50ml of water
1 red chilli
half a red pepper
2 red bridseye chilli
1 half a large onion
2 spring onions
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of ginger puree
1 teaspoon of BBQ seasoning
1 teaspoon of light brown soft sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of coriander leaf
400g of Red Kidney Beans
3 cubes of dark chocolate (optional)
- Prepare the vegetables. Finely dice the onion and red pepper, then slice the spring onion red and birds eye chillies. Using a garlic press crush the garlic into a large saucepan, add the onion, spring onion and chillies with a tablespoon of ginger puree. Lightly fry in olive oil on a medium heat until all the ingredients are soft.
- Brown your selected mince. Turn the heat up a bit, break up the mince and add the meat to the pan. Leave to simmer for a couple of minutes before you starting breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Making sure you mix in the onion and chillies into the meat as it starts to break up.
- Now you need to add your dry ingredients;cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, soft brown sugar and BBQ seasoning. Stir gently and leave until there are no more pink bits. Slightly turn down the heat and add a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Empty the passata, kidney beans, water and red pepper into the sauce. Add some of the seasoning’s you used earlier to season the meat with to the sauce. Add a teaspoon of BBQ seasoning, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and add the coriander. Throw in an extra splash of Worcestershire sauce and turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes remembering to check on it. (if you’re adding the dark chocolate crumble into the chilli now).
- After bringing it to the boil, taste the chilli and see if any other seasoning needs to be added (a this point i usually add some extra dried red chillies and leave to simmer for another 10 minutes).
- Serve with Sweet Jacket Potato’s and Garlic bread. If you have any fresh coriander sprinkle it on top of the chilli to garnish