So over Christmas, My Boss made some sweet chilli jam and brought some into the office. I quickly fell in love with it and when I realised how easy it sounded to make, I thought I would give it a go. I researched a few recipes and Wa-Lah, I made my own sweet chilli jam… with a kick.
You will need a food processor and this takes around 3 hours to make (trust me it’s worth it!)
8 Red Peppers
10 Red Chillies
2 Red Birds Eye Chillies (optional)
8 Garlic Cloves
1 Tablespoon of Ginger Puree
750g of Golden Caster Sugar
400g of Chopped Tomatoes (Drained)
250ml Red Wine Vinegar
- Roughly chop the red peppers and chillies, tip into the food processor (with seeds). Add the garlic and ginger then let the processor whiz around until all the ingredients is finely chopped. Using a spatula scrap the mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir the ingredients (just to make sure everything is combined).
- Scrap the mixture into a heavy bottomed saucepan and add the sugar, chopped tomatoes and red wine vinegar.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, once the mixture starts to bubble turn the heat right down so it simmers. Cook for about 2 1/2 hours stirring occasionally and add small amounts of water to stop it from sticking.
- Once your mixture has halved and has a sticky texture. Continue to cook for 10 minutes, making sure you stir it frequently so it doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan. Your jam will now look like a delicious lava, leave to cool slightly and transfer into your jars.
- I put my jar into two left over pickle jars, which were able to contain 670g each!
Enjoy with your favourite crackers, cheese and a glass of port. Or perfect in a cheese and red onion toastie (cure the Saturday Morning Hangover)