For the Cupcakes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, softened
- 80g Golden syrup
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 100g of Crushed Walnuts Halves (optional)
For the icing
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 110g low-fat cream cheese
- 225g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Using a 12 tin cupcake tray, line with your chosen cupcake cases.
- Over a medium heat, combine the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large saucepan until they melt together. Before stirring in the self-raising flour, make sure to sift it through first (to ensure the cupcake mixture is light!). Add the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, grated carrot and eggs. Mix well until the batter become smooth. Once you have your desired consistency add the crushed walnuts and stir into the mixture.
- Dive the mixture evenly amongst the cupcake cases, making sure the mixture is about half way full. Place the cupcakes in the oven for around 20-25 minutes until risen (if you’re unsure use a metal or wooden skewer).
- Remove from the oven when ready and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst the cupcakes are cooling, now is time to prepare the icing! Combine the butter, cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl. It is best to use an electric whisk until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag with your desired nozzle, or use a plate knife to spread the icing evenly on top of the cupcakes.